Stuffed Grape Leaves (Dolmathes)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground round or turkey
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raw
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon mint
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 (16 ounce) jar grapevine leaves
- 3 bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon
- Combine first ten ingredients and mix well.
- Wash the grape leaves carefully and remove the brine. Put any broken leaves
into the bottom of a greased Dutch oven.
- Put a heaping teaspoon of the mixture in the center of each leaf (on the
vein side). Fold edges over and roll tightly toward point of leaf.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in enough water to cover the rolls, then pour over
the rolls. Dot tops with butter.
- Cover with a heavy plate to prevent the rolls from opening as the rice puffs
- Cover the pan and steam over low heat for 1 hour or until leaves are tender.
Recipe is the property of Kathryn Mills, Georgia.
From the Family Recipes collection of Linda Ann Jolly and Lisa Marie