When Lisa was young, these were a favorite at our house during the holiday season.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup unsifted flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs and milk. With fork or wire whisk, mix well.
- Stir in flour, sugar and vanilla extract; blend until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat 2 quarts vegetable oil to 365 degrees F on
a candy thermometer.
- Attach selected iron to handle. Dip iron into hot oil for 15 seconds; drain
slightly on paper towel.
- Dip lower part of hot iron into batter, letting excess drip back into bowl.
(Do not get batter on top of iron.)
- Dip iron into hot oil; as batter becomes cooked, it will loosen and drop
into oil. Cook until golden on one side; turn and cook on other side. Repeat.
As pastries turn golden, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Pastries may be sprinkled with confectioners' sugar or cinnamon-sugar.
Tart shells may be filled with sweet or savory fillings.
From the kitchen of Linda Jolly.
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.