Swiss Steak with Tomato Gravy
- 1 large slice round steak
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large cans tomatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, diced
- Kosher or sea salt and pepper
- 1 cup water (for gravy)
- Spray slow cooker with Pam. Turn on LOW.
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Cut round steak into serving-size pieces.
- Put flour into a shallow pan. Add salt and pepper to flour and flour steak well.
- Fry steak in hot oil until brown.
- Pour a few tomatoes into the slow cooker. Add pieces of browned steak and remaining tomatoes in layers. Add diced onion.
- Cook for 4 hours on LOW heat.
- Remove meat from slow cooker.
- Put 1 cup of water in a pint jar. Add 3 tablespoons flour. Shake well. Add to tomato mixture in the slow cooker. Cook and stir until gravy is thickened.
- Put meat back in long enough to heat.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Yield: 4 servings