The Very Best Waffles
Cornstarch is the secret for crispy waffles. Cornstarch guarantees that your
waffles will be crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
- 3/4 cup (105 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) cornstarch
teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup (235 ml) milk, whole or 2% reduced fat milk
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable or lightly flavored oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter, syrup and/or berries, for serving
- Prepare Waffle Batter: Whisk the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder,
baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the milk, vegetable
oil, egg and vanilla extract until blended.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until just mixed.
Set batter aside for 10 to 15 minutes so the baking powder has time to activate.
- Make Waffles: Heat the oven to 200 degrees F and heat the waffle iron. Pour
the batter onto the heated waffle iron (ours takes about 1/2 cup) and cook until
the waffle is crisp and golden brown. Immediately set the cooked waffle directly
on the oven rack to keep it warm and crisp.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, holding the waffles in the oven (try not
to stack them).
- Serve with butter, syrup and/or berries.
Buttermilk Waffles: To make buttermilk waffles, simply replace
the milk with 1 cup of buttermilk. Or, use a combination of milk and buttermilk.
Extra Light Waffles: For even lighter waffles you can separate
the egg. Mix the yolk into the wet ingredients. Then, whip the egg white until stiff
peaks form. Once you’ve blended the dry and wet ingredients, fold in the beaten
>> Waffle Recipes
>> All Breakfast and Brunch Recipes