Family Favorites Recipes
Vegetable Lo Mein
If you don't care for any of the vegetables listed, just omit them, and add your favorites from the add-in list.
- 8 ounces lo mein noodles (or spaghetti)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil + more for drizzling
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 yellow, orange or red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can water chestnuts, sliced
- 5 green onions, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- broccoli, bok choy, mung bean sprouts, baby corn, asparagus, celery, cabbage, spinach, snow peas, tofu, ginger
- cilantro, peanuts, cashews
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drizzle with sesame oil to prevent sticking, and set aside.
- In a wok or very large pan over medium-high heat, add sesame oil.
- When oil is hot, carefully add onion, bell pepper, carrot and mushrooms. Sauté for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until veggies are crisp-tender.
- Add water chestnuts, green onions and garlic. Cook 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add noodles, hoisin sauce and soy sauce. Stir well to combine, and heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
From the family recipe collection of Linda Jolly and Lisa Stephens.