Vulture Mine Tostadas
This is my own creation. I named it for a mine near Wickenburg right here in
Arizona. I've been making it for a number of years. It's
a good cooler weather dinner. Instead of making the chili as instructed, you can
use your favorite chili and prepare the potatoes portion of the recipe, serving
your chili over the mashed potatoes.
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 1/4 cups minced raw onion
- 1 can pinto beans
1/3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (comino)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 8 cups mashed potatoes
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped raw onion
- 3/4 cup grated longhorn or Cheddar
- Brown ground beef and onion, draining fat. Add pinto beans and tomato sauce,
cooking for 15 minutes.
- Combine chili powder, flour, water and a little salt; blend this paste into
previous mixture. Cook for 45 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, prepare mashed potatoes with butter, milk and black pepper, adding
only enough milk to ensure rather stiff mashed potatoes.
- To serve, spread mashed potatoes in dinner plate to resemble a 2-inch thick
tostada (with a rim around the outer edge). Spoon chili into depression and
top with lettuce, onion and cheese.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
4 large tostadas
From the kitchen of Linda Ann Jolly.
From the Family Recipes Collection of Linda Ann Jolly and Lisa Marie Stephens.