Yankee Red Beans and Rice
This is THE best recipe for red beans and rice that you will ever find. I think it's much better than the Louisiana dish.
- 1 pound dry red beans
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 pound Polish sausage, sliced
- Hot, cooked rice
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (garnish)
- Add the dry beans to the slow cooker.
- In a skillet, sauté onion, bell pepper and celery for 3 minutes then add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add to slow cooker.
- Add bay leaves, spices, chicken stock and wine.
- Cook on LOW for 7 hours.
- Add sausage. Cook for one hour.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve with hot, cooked rice.
From the family recipe collection of Linda Jolly.
Photo credit: Back to the Cutting Board on VisualHunt /