Feast day of St. Mary Magdalene, July 22.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces butter or margarine
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- Scant 1/4 cup Madeira wine (optional)
- 1 1/4 scant cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup flaked, roasted almonds
- Dress a pancake pan with buttered baking paper.
- Beat the egg whites stiff and fold in the sugar. Spread 1/3 of the foamy
mixture in the pancake pan, and bake in the oven at 300 degrees F for about 25
minutes, so that you get a nicely colored, crisp meringue layer.
- Repeat this procedure with the remaining mixture, so that you have 3 layers.
- Put the fat into a bowl and put it in a saucepan with water.
- Break the chocolate in pieces in the bowl and warm until it melts.
- Remove the bowl and stir until the mixture is cool.
- Add coffee powder, sugar, egg yolks, and optional Madeira.
- Stir the mixture smooth and nice and allow to cool completely.
- Spread out the chocolate mixture on two of the layers. Glue them together
and cover with the third layer.
- Beat the cream, then spread it on top of the cake and decorate with flaked
Yield: 1 cake, approximately 10 pieces