Saint Clement's Cake
St. Clement, Pope, Martyr, November 23
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Curd
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Slices of orange and lemon
- Crystallized candies
- 1/2 pound butter or margarine
- 1/2 pound granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- Juice of 2 or 3 lemons
- Cake: Sift flour into a bowl.
- Melt butter in a small pan. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk eggs and sugar until very pale and creamy.
- Fold in flour and melted butter. Pour into an 8-inch greased cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Turn out on a rack. Cool.
- Cut cake into three layers. Sandwich with Lemon Curd.
- Pour Icing over cake so that top and sides are coated (do not spread). Let set.
- Decorate top of cake with strips of orange and lemon candy slices.
- Lemon Curd: Melt sugar and butter in a double boiler. When warm, stir in
eggs and lemon juice. Continue to stir until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and store in a dry jar in the refrigerator.
- Icing: Sift confectioners' sugar. Mix with lemon juice and a little
water to make icing stiff enough to coat back of spoon.