Santa Lucia Crown
Feast day of St. Lucia or Lucy of Syracuse, Sicily, December 23
- 1/2 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
- 1 envelope FLEISCHMANN'S Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk (100 to 110 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron powder
- 4 1/4 to 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- Red and green candied cherry halves, optional
- 6 candles, optional
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 to 5 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place 1/4 cup warm water in large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until
- Add remaining water, warm milk, sugar, butter, salt, saffron, and 1 1/2
cups flour; blend well.
- Stir in 2 eggs and enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly
floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free
place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Remove dough to lightly floured surface; reserve 1/3 of
dough for top of crown.
- Divide remaining dough into 3 equal pieces; roll each to 25-inch rope. Braid
ropes. Place braid on greased baking sheet. Form braid into circle; pinch ends
together to seal. To shape top of crown, divide reserved dough into 3 equal
pieces; roll each to 16-inch rope. Braid ropes. Place braid on separate greased
baking sheet. Form braid into circle; pinch ends together to seal.
- over braids; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about
- Lightly beat remaining egg; brush on braids.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes or until done (small braid) and 25
minutes or until done (large braid), covering large braid with foil during last
10 minutes to prevent excess browning.
- Remove braids from baking sheets; let cool on wire racks.
- To decorate, make 6 holes for candles in small braid. Place small braid
on top of large braid.
- If desired, drizzle with Powdered Sugar Glaze and garnish with candied cherry
halves. Insert candles in prepared holes.
- Powdered Sugar Glaze: In small bowl, combine powdered sugar, sifted; milk
and pure vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
Yield: 1 crown
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Serving size: 1 slice (1/20 of recipe)
- calories 159; total fat 4 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 39 mg; sodium 154
mg; total carbohydrate 27 g; dietary fiber 1 g; protein
Please SHOP HERE to support this site. We are an Amazon affiliate as a means of paying for the high cost of maintaining Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.