All Saints' Day - November 1
Originally, these cakes were shaped like men and women and were given raisins
or currants for eyes.
- 1 yeast cake
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 pound butter
- 2 cups milk
- 6 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Dissolve the yeast cake with 1 teaspoon of sugar in the lukewarm water and
let it stand in a warm place.
- Cream the butter with the sugar.
- Add the milk which has been scalded and slightly cooled and then add the
- Sift the flour with the salt and cinnamon and add to the mixture, kneading
for a few minutes.
- Place in a bowl and allow it to rise in a warm place to double its bulk.
- Shape the dough into round buns and bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes
or until lightly browned.