Blackened Catfish Tacos with Hush Puppy Tortillas
This tasty meal was created by Jordan Peeples these creative tacos took home 3rd place. Check out this Blackened Catfish Tacos with Hush Puppy Tortillas, Pickled Slaw and Cilantro-Lime Remoulade. You will be happy that you did!
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (optional)
- 3 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mayonaisse
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons horseradish
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon pickled slaw juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Hush Puppy Tortillas
- 1/2 cup Slap Ya Mama Fish Fry
- 2 1/2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 10 to 12 small corn tortillas
- Vegetable/Canola oil
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable/canola oil
- 4 (4 ounce) catfish filets
- Pickled Slaw: In a saucepan, combine non-vegetable ingredients. Bring to a simmer then take off of the heat. Pour mixture over sliced vegetables. Set aside while working on other parts of the recipe. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Cilantro-Lime Remoulade: Combine all ingredients thoroughly then refrigerate until needed.
- Hush Puppy Tortillas: In a cast iron skillet, heat a few inches of oil to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together all ingredients except for tortillas.
- Dredge each tortilla into the mixture, shaking off excess. Carefully place the tortilla in oil and cook until browned.
- While it’s still hot, shape into taco shape by placing each half of the tortilla between wires on a wire rack. Let rest for a few minutes.
- Blackened Catfish: Heat vegetable oil in another cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, melt butter. Dip filet in butter then cover in seasoning.
- Cook on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Beware: this can create a lot of smoke.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Slap Ya Mama
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.