Country Fried Catfish
- 1 pound fresh or frozen catfish or other fish fillets
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- Cooking oil (for deep-fat frying)
- Thaw fish if frozen. Cut fillets into 3 x 2-inch pieces.
- Place 1/4 cup of the buttermilk and 1/2 cup flour in separate bowls.
- Combine egg and remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk in another bowl.
- Mix 1/3 cup
flour, the cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a fourth bowl.
- Dip fish into buttermilk, then flour, then egg mixture, and finally into cornmeal
mixture to coat.
- In saucepan or deep-fat fryer heat 2 inches oil to 365 degrees F.
- Fry 2 or 3 fillets at a time for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden and fish flakes easily
when tested with a fork.
- Drain on paper toweling; keep warm in a 325 degrees
F oven while frying remainder.
Makes 4 servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.