Fish Steaks or Fillets with Spanish Sauce
This sauce is also good with spaghetti, omelets, croquettes, meat loaf, hamburgers,
- Dried bread crumbs
- Black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Lemon and parsley
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1/2 cups canned tomatoes or juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 diced, seeded green bell pepper
- Dash of black pepper
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons water
- Fish: Dip each piece of fish in milk. Roll each piece in sifted, dried bread
crumbs to which black pepper has been added.
- Place fish in shallow, greased
baking dish and brush generously with oil. You may put strips of bacon over
the fish if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until easily pierced and flaked with a fork.
- Serve from hot platter, garnished with lemon and parsley.
- Add Spanish Sauce.
- Spanish Sauce: Sauté onions in oil until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients,
except flour and water, and cover and simmer 30 minutes. Thicken with flour
mixed to a smooth paste with water.
- Remove the bay leaf and cloves, and serve over fish.
Makes about 2 cups sauce.