- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canning salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Liquid Smoke
- 2 quarts hot water
- Cut fish into 3- to 4-inch steaks.
- In a large glass or porcelain pan combine all ingredients (make sure the
pan is large enough to combine all the ingredients and large enough so the fish
will be completely covered with brine mixture), then add the hot water. The
water should be hot enough to dissolve all the ingredients completely. Add the
fish after all the ingredients are dissolved. You may want to double the brine
mix to make sure the fish is completely covered.
- Brine the fish for 24 to 36 hours in a refrigerator, turning every 12 hours.
After 24 to 36 hours, remove the fish from the brine and put it directly into
a smoker. If you like a smokier tasting fish, add hickory or mesquite chips
to smoker. About 8 hours at 140 to 165 degrees F works best. If you are unsure
about the temperature, check fish every couple of hours.
- After removing fish from the smoker, let it cool for several hours before
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.