This delicate sauce is delicious with fish.
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped and firmly
packed fresh young dill weed
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup light
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- In large saucepan, melt shortening and butter over medium heat. Add dill,
sugar and salt. Stir until thoroughly heated.
- Add chicken broth and bring to
- Mix flour with milk and 1/2 cup light cream. Pour mixture into boiling
liquid, stirring constantly with whisk. Reduce heat.
- Add vinegar, lemon juice
and white pepper. Simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In small bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup light cream with sour cream. Slowly
spoon some of the hot sauce into cream mixture to warm it. Then add to remaining
- Cover. Keep warm for 5 minutes before serving.