Alaska Crab Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound Italian fusilli or trottole pasta, cooked al dente, drained and kept warm
- 1 pound Alaska crabmeat (2 pounds Alaska King, Snow or Dungeness crab legs)
- 2 cups (9 ounces) bite-size pieces of fresh asparagus
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt or garlic salt or onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 quart non-fat or 1% milk, warmed
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon each smoked paprika and dried thyme
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the salt, pepper and warm milk. Cook and whisk until sauce has thickened
and is smooth.
- Turn heat to lowest setting; stir in cheeses. Turn off heat; continue stirring
until sauce is smooth.
- Gently blend in the pasta, crabmeat and asparagus.
- Turn mixture into a spray coated 9 x 13-inch pan or 8 (1 1/2 cup) baking
- Blend together bread crumbs, smoked paprika and thyme; sprinkle evenly over
- Bake for 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and topping is browned.
Serves 6 to 8 | Prep Time 15 min | Cook Time 30 min
Nutrients per serving (at 8 servings): 715 calories, 29g total fat, 17g saturated
fat, 37% calories from fat, 128mg cholesterol, 50g protein, 63g carbohydrate, 3g
fiber, 1702mg sodium, 688mg calcium and 150mg omega-3 fatty acids
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):