Avocado Grain Bowl
By picking up some tortillas, you can use the ingredients from the Avocado Grain Bowl and also make delicious Shrimp Tacos. Don’t like shrimp or have chicken on hand? Feel free to substitute the protein.
2 Meals in 1 Recipe: Use this recipe to make Avocado Shrimp Tacos
- 1 ripe fresh Hass avocado*, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced chipotles in adobo
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound medium peeled, deveined shrimp, tails off (about 50)
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups cooked brown rice or other grain
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
- In a medium bowl combine 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1 teaspoon of the chipotles and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
- Add shrimp; stir to coat. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine beans, remaining 2 teaspoons chipotles, 2 tablespoons of the oil and 2 tablespoons of the onion; set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine lime juice, tomatoes, avocado, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, red onion, and 1 tablespoon of the cilantro; set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp. Cook, stirring occasionally, until seared and cooked through. Remove from heat.
- To serve, divide grains into four serving bowls. Top each with 1/2 cup avocado salad, 1/3 cup beans, and 6 shrimp.
- Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
- To make Avocado Shrimp Tacos put aside:
1 cup Avocado Grain Bowl in an airtight container
1 1/3 cups beans
About 24 shrimp
Servings: 4 | Prep: 15 min | Cook: 15 min
One serving=1 grain bowl (1/4 of recipe)
Nutrition facts Amount Per Serving Calories 496 Total Fat 16.0g Saturated Fat 2.0g Trans Fat 0.0g Polyunsaturated Fat 2.0g Monounsaturated Fat 10.0g Cholesterol 143.0mg Sodium 626.0mg Total Carbohydrates 49.0g Dietary Fiber 8.0g Sugar 2.0g Protein 24.0g Vitamin A 200 IU Vitamin C 13 mg Calcium 80 mg Iron 1 mg Vitamin D 32 IU Folate 20 mcg Omega 3 Fatty Acid117 mg
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 21%; Calcium 8%; Iron 7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Recipe and photo courtesy of:
Hass Avocado Commission