Backyard Shrimp Fest
- 1/2 cup Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 quarts water
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer, optional
- 8 medium red potatoes, cut in quarters
- 2 large sweet onions, cut in wedges
- 2 pounds lean smoked sausage, cut in 2-inch lengths
- 8 ears fresh corn, cut in half
- 4 pounds large shrimp in shells
- In an 8-quart pot, bring seasoning, salt, water and beer to a boil. Add
potatoes and onions; cook over high heat for 8 minutes.
- Add smoked sausage to potatoes and onions; continue to cook on high for
5 minutes. Add corn to pot; continue to boil for 7 minutes.
- Add shrimp in shells; cook for 4 minutes.
- Drain cooking liquid. Pour contents of pot into several large bowls, shallow
pails or mound on a paper-covered picnic table.
- Sprinkle with additional seasoning if desired.
Makes 8 large servings
Recipe serving tip: Eliminate cleanup by using paper plates and covering the
picnic or patio table with news paper. Drain the water from the pot and mound con
tents atop the paper. Have everybody grab a seat around the table and have fun peeling
and eating the shrimp. Provide empty pails or bowls for the shrimp shells.