Baked Oysters with Bleu Cheese
- 1/2 pound peeled young potatoes
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 dozen plump, fresh oysters
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2/3 cup cream
- 3 ounces crumbled bleu cheese
- Cook the potatoes in salted, boiling water until tender. Drain well, and
mash (using a fork) together with the milk, olive oil, and parsley.
- Open the oysters, separate the bodies from the shell, keep the juice and
set aside. Throw away the top shell, and wash the bottom shell thoroughly.
- Beat the egg yolks together with the wine, and put in a double boiler to
cook until the mixture doubles in volume, continuing to beat during cooking.
- In another pan, mix together the cream and the Bleu cheese. Bring to a boil
for 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from heat. Add the oyster juice, and fold this
mixture gently into the egg yolks.
- To serve, fill the oyster shells with the mashed potatoes. Put the oysters
on top, and cover with the sauce. Put them under the grill for 5 minute so that
the mixture becomes golden brown.
- Serve hot.