Baked Porgy with Basil
- 4 (3/4 pound) porgies (scup), whole, scaled, finned, gilled and cleaned
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons shallots or green onions, minced
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons basil (20 leaves) fresh, chopped, or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Use a cooking spray or coat the bottom of a baking pan with vegetable oil.
- Spread shallots or green onions in the baking pan. With a sharp knife make several slits along the sides of each porgy. Place fish on the bed of onions and sprinkle with salt and chopped basil. Set aside for approximately 5 minutes
to mix flavors.
- Pour wine over the fish and dot the fish with the butter or margarine.
- Cover with foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the fish flesh turns opaque and begins to flake.