- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour,
stirred before measuring
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen whole shrimp
- Oil (for deep-fat frying)
- 1 cup Smucker's Sweet Orange Marmalade
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 piece whole ginger root or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup Smucker's Grape Jelly
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup ketchup
Plum Hot Sauce
- 1 cup Smucker's Plum Preserves
- 1 to
2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shrimp: Beat together eggs and milk until frothy.
- Sift together flour, baking
powder and salt. Add to egg mixture; add oil and beat until mixture is smooth
and well blended. Set aside.
- Remove shells from shrimp, leaving tails on. If shrimp are frozen, remove
shells under running cold water. Cut partway through lengthwise along outside
curve. Lift out vein; wash shrimp and flatten so they stay open. Drain well
on paper towels.
- Place enough oil or shortening to more than cover shrimp in a deep-fat fryer
or kettle and heat to 375 degrees F.
- Dip shrimp into batter, one at a time,
and fry, a few at a time, about 4 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy.
Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with choice of sauces.
Orange Sauce: In a saucepan, combine all ingredients and cook over low heat,
stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles. Remove garlic and ginger root.
Grape Horseradish Sauce: Combine all ingredients.
Plum Hot Sauce: In a saucepan, combine all ingredients and cook over low
heat, stirring occasionally, at least 5 minutes, or until garlic is cooked.
Remove from heat and cool slightly.