Black Cod en Papillote
Simple, light and delicious, this recipe combines fresh herbs and spices that
perfectly complement the rich buttery flavor of the fish. The combination of walnuts
and crème fraîche add a unique and crunchy twist to a delicately spiced, classic
- 1 cup California walnut pieces, coarsely chopped
- 4 teaspoon crème fraîche
- 2 teaspoon walnut or olive oil
- 3 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoon apple cider
- 1/3 cups tarragon, fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
pieces black cod
- 4 potatoes, small, thinly sliced
- 20 asparagus spears, trimmed
For assembly, you will need 4 circles of parchment paper, each 15 inches in
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine walnuts, crème fraîche, walnut oil, Dijon, vinegar, tarragon,
and capers. Set aside.
- Fold one parchment round in half and unfold. Spread one sliced potato in
the center of the bottom half of parchment. Place five asparagus spears on top
of the potato, and then lay the black cod on the asparagus.
- Spoon 1/4 of the walnut mixture on top of the cod and fold the top half
of parchment over. Seal edges by twisting and pressing the edges together in
a half moon pattern. Repeat this step with the three remaining pieces of cod.
- Place parchment packets on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes
until the parchment is lightly browned and puffy.
- Remove from the oven and carefully cut a slit in the top of the packets,
tearing back edges to reveal fish.
Total time 45 mins | Cook time 25 mins | Active time 20 mins | Serves 4
Tip: This creamy walnut sauce can be served on top of chicken breasts or turkey.
It also makes for a delicious vegetable dip.
Nutrition: 600 Calories Fat 37g Saturated Fat 10g Monounsaturated Fat 16g
Polyunsaturated Fat 11g Cholesterol 75mg Sodium 470mg Carbohydrates 37g Dietary
Fiber 6g Protein 23g
Reprinted with permission from the California Walnut Board.