Chesapeake Crab Strata
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 cups unseasoned croutons
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound crabmeat, picked over to remove any shell
- Red and green bell pepper rings (for garnish)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Place butter in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
Heat in the oven until melted, tilting to coat the dish. Remove the dish from
the oven; spread the croutons over the melted butter. Top with the cheese and
- Combine milk, eggs, mustard, Old Bay seasoning, salt and black pepper; mix
well. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese in the dish and sprinkle the crabmeat
on top. Bake for about 50 minutes or until the mixture is set.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the pepper rings and serve.