Crab Cakes with Orange Chive Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1/2 pound fine quality crab meat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a medium skillet, cook the onion and bell pepper in 3 tablespoons of
the butter over moderate heat, stirring, until limp, about 5 minutes. Transfer
to a large bowl and stir in the mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, egg
yolk, pepper and cracker crumbs.
- Add the crab meat and stir gently to combine the mixture, keeping the crab
lumps intact. Press the mixture into 4 patties about 1-inch thick and put on
a plate. Chill the patties, covered, for 30 minutes, to help them hold together.
The cakes can be made up to 8 hours in advance, covered and chilled.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the oil in a large skillet over
moderate heat. Add the crab cakes and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes
on each side. Serve immediately with the mayonnaise.
Makes 4 cakes (serves 2).
Per serving: 350 calories, 14 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 30 g fat, 135
mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium, trace fiber. Calories from fat: 77%