Crab Cakes and Roasted
Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, or3 homemade roasted peppers
- 6 to 10 drops Tabasco sauce, depending on your palate(6 for mild, 10 for hot)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cracker meal (found near bread crumbs in supermarket)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 (6 ounce) cans lump white crab, drained very well
- A few pinches coarse salt
- 1 rounded teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Handful chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 stalk celery from heart of stalk, chopped very fine
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 drops hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, or ranch dressing
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until
a smooth, a loose paste will form. Set aside.
- Crab Cakes: Place cracker meal in a bowl and moisten with milk. Add
crabmeat, salt, Old Bay seasoning, baking powder, parsley, celery, lemon zest,
Worcestershire, Tabasco, mayonnaise or dressing, and beaten egg.
- Combine crab cake mixture and form into 8 patties. Fry in hot oil (1/2-inch
deep) over medium-high heat until golden, 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve with lemon wedges and Red Pepper Sauce.
Makes 10 cakes, 2-inches each
Posted by BettyBoop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 10, 2001.