Crab and Idaho® Potato Pierogies
- 2 1/2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 12 ounces lump crab meat
- 2 cups flour (may need more)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1 large egg, scrambled
Lemon Infused Butter
- Lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- Pierogies: Boil the potatoes until done, drain and mash with butter. Set
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onions. Stir the cheese and
onions into the potato mixture. Mix well.
- Chill until very cold. Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Make a well in
- Pour water and oil into the well. Mix together.
- Add more flour, 1/2 cup at a time until dough is firm. Knead dough until
mixture does not stick to hands. Cover tightly and let stand for 1/2 hour in
a warm place.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut
in 3-inch diameter circles.
- Add 1 teaspoon of potato filling and 1 ounce of crab meat.
- Brush the edges of the dough with egg wash, fold over 1 half of circle,
and press the edges together to seal.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and then add pierogies. Stir occasionally
so pierogies won’t stick to the bottom. When pierogies rise to the top, add
1 cup cold water to stop the cooking.
- Remove the pierogies with a slotted spoon. Pierogies will cook in 3 to 4
- Serve with lemon infused butter, a spritz of lemon and garnish with parsley.
- Lemon Infused Butter: In a small sauce pot heat the butter to 160 degrees
F over medium heat add the lemon zest and continue to hold at 160 degrees to
allow the lemon oils to flavor the butter.
- Reserve the rest of the lemon to spritz the perogies.
Yield: approximately 4 servings of 3 perogies
These pierogies are best served after being seared in a hot sauté pan with
either clarified butter or olive oil.
Eric Petrus, Chef, Parkhurst Dining, Cleveland, OH
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Idaho Potato Commission