Crêpes with Shrimp, Spinach and Herb Filling
These scrumptious, savory crêpes are easy to make and will bring an elegant flair
to your special brunch menu. Using canola oil in the crêpe batter rather than
butter and replacing some of the white flour with whole-grain flour makes the
crêpes healthier without sacrificing their rich, decadent taste.
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk 250 mL
- 3 large eggs
teaspoon salt 1 mL
- 1/2 cup whole-grain pastry flour 125 mL
- 1/2 cup all-purpose
flour 125 mL
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 30 mL
- 1 tablespoons canola oil 15 mL
- 1 medium shallot,
finely chopped (about 3 Tbsp/45 mL)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose
flour 10 mL
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk 125 mL
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach leaves,
coarsely chopped 1.25 L
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined,tails removed 500 g
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1 mL
- 1/8 teaspoon
salt 0.5 mL
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced into ribbons 60 mL
- 2 tablespoons
fresh parsley leaves, coarselychopped 30 mL
- Canola oil
- Crêpes: In blender, place milk, eggs and salt and blend on mix setting to
combine. Add both flours and blend until very smooth, about 15 seconds.
- Add canola oil and blend until incorporated, 5 seconds more.
- Pour batter into medium bowl, cover and place in refrigerator while you
- Filling: In large, nonstick skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add
shallot and cook until softened but not brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds more.
- Sprinkle flour into pan and cook, stirring until incorporated, about 30
- Drizzle in milk and cook, stirring continuously until thickened, about 2
- Stir in spinach and cook until it is just wilted, about 30 seconds.
- Add shrimp, pepper and salt and cook, stirring once or twice, until shrimp
just turn pink, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and cover.
- To make crêpes: Heat crêpe pan or 10-inch (25-cm) nonstick skillet with
8-inch (20-cm) base over medium heat. Spray pan with canola oil cooking spray.
Ladle 1/4-cup (60-mL) batter into center of pan. Tilt and rotate pan so batter
forms thin layer in bottom. Cook until top is no longer liquid and bottom is
nicely browned, about 1 minute. Flip crêpe and cook other side until light brown,
about 15 seconds more.
- Repeat with remaining batter until you have eight crêpes. (You will not
need to re-spray pan.) Stack finished crepes on plate.
- To fill crêpes: Return shrimp-spinach mixture to skillet at medium heat
and cook until warmed and shrimp are cooked through, 1-2 minutes. Remove from
heat and stir in herbs. Place one crêpe on plate, top with about 1/3-cup (75
mL) of shrimp mixture in center and roll up.
- Repeat with remaining crêpes and shrimp mixture.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 8 servings; serving size 1 crêpe
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 200 Total Fat 8 g Saturated Fat
1.5 g Cholesterol 145 mg Carbohydrates 17 g Fiber 2 g Sugars 3 g Protein 14 g Sodium
400 mg Potassium 198 mg
Reprinted with permission from CanolaInfo.org.