- 2 1/2 pounds fresh salmon, center cut
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 20 coarsely crushed white peppercorns
- About 2 ounces chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 2/3 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2/3 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- Salmon: Clean salmon; cut in fillets. Do not remove skin. Wipe fish dry
with paper towel; do not rinse.
- Rub fish with salt mixed with sugar. Sprinkle
part of salt mixture and some dill in a deep enamel or stainless steel baking
dish. Place 1 piece salmon, skin side down, in dish and sprinkle generously
with dill, crushed peppercorn and salt mixture. Cover with second piece of salmon,
skin side up. Sprinkle with remaining salt mixture. Cover with aluminum foil
and a light weight, such as a chopping board.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 to 2 days. Turn salmon every day.
- Gravlox will keep for 1 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
- To serve, cut in slices free from the skin. Garnish with lettuce, dill and
lemon wedges. It may also be served with the sauce.
- Sauce: Shake or beat all ingredients together except dill. Add dill or serve
it from a separate bowl.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.