Grilled Texas Shrimp
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Mexican lime juice
- 1 tablespoon ground red chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 24 large raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined (tails left on)
- Mix all ingredients except shrimp in shallow glass or plastic dish. Stir
in shrimp. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove shrimp from marinade, reserving marinade. Thread 4 shrimp on each
of six (8-inch) metal skewers. Grill over medium coals, turning once, until
pink, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Heat marinade to boiling in a nonreactive saucepan. Reduce heat to low.
Simmer uncovered until bell pepper is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with shrimp.
Makes 6 servings.
If you would prefer to broil the shrimp instead of grilling them, place
the skewered shrimp on a broiler pan rack. Broil with tops about 4 inches from heat,
turning once, until pink, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.