Honey-Thyme Grilled Shrimp
Roasted Garlic Marinade
- 1 medium bulb garlic
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup spicy honey mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen uncooked large shrimp in shells
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares and blanched
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares and blanched
- 1 medium red onion, cut into quarters andseparated into chunks
- Roasted Garlic Marinade: Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut one-third off top of unpeeled garlic bulb, exposing cloves. Place garlic
in small baking dish; drizzle with oil. Cover tightly and bake 45 minutes; cool.
Squeeze garlic pulp from papery skin. Place garlic and remaining ingredients
in blender. Cover and blend on high speed until smooth.
- Shrimp: Peel shrimp. (If shrimp are frozen, do not thaw; peel in cold water.) Make
a shallow cut lengthwise down back of each shrimp; wash out vein.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the marinade into small resealable plastic bag; seal bag
and refrigerate until serving. Pour remaining marinade into large resealable
plastic bag. Add shrimp, bell peppers and onion, turning to coat with marinade.
Seal bag and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Brush grill rack with vegetable oil. Heat coals or gas grill for direct
heat. Remove shrimp and vegetables from marinade; drain well. Discard marinade.
Thread shrimp and vegetables alternately on each of six 15-inch metal skewers,
leaving space between each.
- Grill kabobs uncovered 4 to 6 inches from HOT heat 7 to 10 minutes, turning
once, until shrimp are pink and firm. Place kabobs on serving tray. Cut a tiny
corner from small plastic bag of reserved marinade, using scissors.
- Drizzle marinade over shrimp and vegetables.
6 servings | about 1 1/2 cups marinade
Per Serving: 299 Calories; 14g Fat (41.9% calories from fat); 27g Protein;
17g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 233mg Cholesterol; 405mg Sodium
Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2
Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates