Jumbo Prawns and Balsamic-Orange Onions
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Pinch of crushed
- 12 raw shrimp, (6-8 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup sliced
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss onions, oil and salt in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan until coated. Cover
with foil. Bake until softened and juicy, about 45 minutes.
- Remove foil, stir and continue baking, uncovered, until the onions around
the edges of the pan are lightly golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, rosemary and crushed red pepper.
Bake until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and bake until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in
scallion greens and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition Information: Per serving: 314 calories; 10 g fat (2 g saturated
fat, 6g mono unsaturated fat); 259 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein;
2 g fiber; 550 mg sodium; 581 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Iron (26% dv), Magnesium (40%
dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Recipe and photo credit: National Onion Association.