Oysters Johnny Reb 2
Be sure to read directions completely before starting. There should be layers
in the casserole. They are listed in order added in the recipe.
- 4 cups shucked and drained oysters
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped scallions [include the green]
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place half oysters in a generously buttered one quart baking dish IN order
- Sprinkle with half of the following: parsley, scallions, Worcestershire,
lemon juice, butter and crumbs. Salt, pepper and Tabasco to taste.
- Then layer remaining oysters and again sprinkle with the remaining ingredients
listed above. Again add salt, pepper and Tabasco to taste.
- Sprinkle with paprika and suing knife make six or so holes in top of casserole
and pour in cream.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until firm.
12 to 15 servings
Posted by philocrates at Recipe Goldmine May 23, 2001
Source: the NYT Heritage Cookbook 1972 ed - Jean Hewitt author - Recipe is credited