Pan-Fried Soft-Shell Crabs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups saltine cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 soft-shell crabs
- In a shallow dish, stir the flour together with the oregano, salt and pepper.
- In a second dish, mix together milk and eggs.
- Add cracker crumbs to garlic,
and process until crumbs are ground fine. Transfer crumbs to another dish.
- In a large, heavy skillet, warm the butter and oil together over medium-high
- Dip each crab lightly first in the flour, next into the egg mixture, and
then in the cracker crumbs.
- Add the crabs to the skillet, in two batches, if
necessary, and pan-fry them 6 to 8 minutes, turning them once.
- Drain crabs, and serve immediately.