Red-Eye Shrimp and Grits
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces country ham or other smoked ham, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- Cooked grits or cheese grits
- Sauté ham in olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat until golden.
- Add mushrooms, seasoning salt and thyme and sauté until mushrooms are golden,
about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add green onions and garlic and sauté 3 minutes more.
- Combine coffee, sherry, cornstarch and hot sauce in a small bowl. Add to
the sauté pan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the shrimp and simmer until cooked, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon grits onto dinner plates, then divide the red-eye shrimp over the
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional information per serving (excluding grits): 214 calories, 25.3
grams protein, 7.9 grams carbohydrates, 1.1 grams fiber, 7.1 grams fat, 1.6 grams
saturated fat, 178 milligrams cholesterol and 820 milligrams sodium