Red Snapper Veracruz
- 2 pounds red snapper fillets
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into half slices
- 1 1/2 pounds red ripe tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 8 or 9 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, finely mashed
- Heat a little oil in a large skillet and sauté the fillets after salting
and peppering them lightly. Turn only once and do not overcook. Lay fillets
in a large oblong ovenproof dish and set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat the 4 tablespoons oil until hot, but not smoking,
and sauté the sliced onion for 1 minute, until limp but not brown, stirring
- Add tomatoes and water, season with salt, and add the peppercorns, bay leaves
and garlic. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over fish fillets. At this point you can scatter a few stuffed
green olives or drained and rinsed capers over the fish. Seal dish in foil.
- Heat for a few minutes in the oven at 325 degrees F before serving.