Saffron Scallop Phyllo Bake
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops, quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed before use
- 5 sheets Athens Fillo Dough (9 x 14-inches), thawed
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil over
- Season scallops with garlic salt and pepper. Add scallops to the skillet
and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chicken broth, crushed red pepper flakes, and saffron
threads. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons olive
oil over medium heat.
- Layer 5 fillo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter-oil mixture as you
layer them. Cut sheets widthwise into twenty-eight 1/2-inch strips. Place 7
strips in a layered free form shape on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush shapes
with butter-oil mixture. Repeat 3 times to make 4 mounds of fillo.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven for 8 – 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spoon 1 cup of filling into four, 1-cup ramekins. Mound fillo on top of
- Garnish with basil and serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from athensfoods.com.