Shrimp in Tomato-Garlic Sauce
This can also be used as the filling for
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds small shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 2/3 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup Mexican lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cabbage, finely shredded (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 Mexican limes, cut into wedges
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 tablespoons of the olive oil.
When the olive oil is very hot, sauté the shrimp until they become opaque, about
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, onion and jalapeno chiles
and continue cooking for about 30 seconds.
- Add tomato puree, lime juice, thyme, salt and pepper and continue cooking
until the sauce thickens, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add cabbage, if desired, and cilantro and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Serve with rice and lime wedges.