- 2 to 3 cups cooked (not instant) grits (don't overcook them)
- 10 to 20
medium size shrimp, shelled, cleaned well and de-veined
- 2 to 3 cups shredded
sharp Cheddar cheese
- Another layer of grits
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Red Eye Gravy
- In the deepest casserole dish you own, layer half the grits, shrimp, cheese,
another layer of grits.
- Pour enough Red Eye Gravy over all this to fill it just to the top. Cover
and bake for about 30 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly and the cheese is
- Red Eye Gravy: Fry some breakfast ham (traditional) or breakfast sausage
in a cast iron skillet. Remove the meat when cooked, turn down the heat and
add about 2 to 3 cups of the leftover coffee from that morning. Stir well as
it heats and make sure you stir in all those good bits of meat from the bottom
and sides of the pan.
- Pour gravy over the Shrimpy Grits.