Steamers in Beer
- 2 pounds steamers (soft-shelled clams; less than 2 inches in diameter)
- 1 shallot
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup beer (not dark)
- 1 tablespoon finely
chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Scrub clams well. Finely chop shallot.
- In a large saucepan cook shallot in 1 tablespoon butter over moderate heat,
stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beer and clams and steam clams,
covered, until opened, 4 to 5 minutes, transferring them as they open with a
slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Discard any unopened clams and reserve cooking liquid. Keep clams warm.
- Pour reserved cooking liquid through a paper towel-lined sieve into a small
saucepan. Heat cooking liquid over moderate heat until hot and whisk in remaining
3‚ tablespoons butter.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in parsley and salt.
- Serve clams with dipping sauce.
Source: Gourmet magazine - August 1999