- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 2 dozen small hard-shelled clams, scrubbed well
- 1 cup fresh coriander sprigs, washed and spun dry
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves, washed and spun dry
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Fresh coriander and/or parsley sprigs (for garnish)
- In a large heavy saucepan cook onion and half of garlic in oil over moderately
low heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add wine or vermouth and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add clams and steam, covered, over moderately high heat 5 to 7 minutes,
transferring them as they open with tongs to a serving bowl and reserving cooking
liquid. (Discard clams that are unopened after 7 minutes.) Keep clams warm.
- In a blender blend together coriander, parsley, butter, remaining garlic,
lemon juice, and reserve cooking liquid until smooth.
- Pour sauce over clams and toss to combine.
- Garnish clams with herbs and serve with crusty Italian or French bread.