Zesty Shrimp and Orange Fajitas
These low-fat fajitas combine wholesome ingredients and powerful antioxidants
with Southwestern flair to pack a nutritious punch that is high in fiber.
- 1 cup 100% orange juice*
- 1/4 cup fresh lime
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 medium red bell
peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 medium yellow peppers, seeded
and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 oranges peeled and cut into segments
- 1 cup
fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
* May substitute Florida Orange Juice from Concentrate
- 24 10-to 15- count shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
- 12 (6- to 8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- Large cloth napkin or dish towel to keep tortillas warm
- Marinade and Shrimp: Combine all ingredients in medium mixing bowl. Season
with salt and pepper.
- Toss shrimp into marinade and refrigerate two hours.
- To cook: Remove shrimp from marinade and let drain for 5 minutes.
- Drain vegetables from marinade through a large colander over a saucepot.
Bring reserved marinade liquid to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes;
- Heat large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the oil to
pan. Add shrimp and sauté until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove shrimp
from pan and keep warm. Add the other half of the oil to pan, followed by drained
vegetables. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat up to high and spread vegetables evenly throughout the pan. Vegetables
will start to brown on the bottom of the pan. Arrange shrimp over the vegetables
and add reserved marinade.
- Serve immediately with a side of your favorite guacamole and a plate of
warmed whole wheat tortillas.
- Tortillas: Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly spray one side
of each tortilla with non-stick cooking spray. Place tortilla, sprayed-side-down,
into hot skillet. Cook until tortilla begins to expand, about one minute, then
flip over and cook another minute. Place tortilla on large napkin. Repeat until
all tortillas are cooked. Stack tortillas as you cook them, then wrap with napkin
and place on a serving plate.
Yield: 6 servings, 14.5 ounces each
Nutrients per serving: 500 calories (22% calories from fat), 28 g protein,
67 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 12 g total fat (sat 0.5 g, mono 7 g, poly 4 g),
607 mg sodium, Vitamin A 45% DV, Vitamin C 70% DV, Calcium 10% DV, Iron 35% DV
Analysis from Genesis R&D by ESHA Research, Inc.
Reprinted with permission from the Florida Department of Citrus.