- 1 pound Swiss cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg or paprika
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread, cut into chunks with crust on
- Mix cheese with cornstarch, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- In a chafing dish,
heat buttermilk with garlic clove over low heat. When hot, remove garlic and
add cheese. Stir constantly until cheese is melted.
- Serve from chafing dish. Each person serves himself from the common dish,
dipping chunks of bread speared on long forks into cheese sauce.