Blueberry Scones Mix in a Jar
These are delicious warm from the oven with butter and jam; a perfect breakfast
food. A jar of homemade blueberry jam would make a wonderful accompaniment to this.
- 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla sugar*
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup dried blueberries
* To make vanilla sugar, fill a 1-quart jar with sugar. Split a vanilla
bean in half lengthwise and add both halves to the sugar. Flavor gets better
after a couple of weeks, and it will keep as long as regular sugar.
- Stir together flour, sugar, milk, baking powder, lemon peel and salt. Cut
in shortening using a pastry cutter or fork until the mixture resembles coarse
crumbs. Stir in berries.
- Layer into a 1-quart canning jar, tapping gently on the counter between
layers to settle before adding the next.
- Add additional dried blueberries to fill in small gaps if necessary.
- Store at room temperature for up to 6 weeks, or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Attach the following instructions on a gift tag.
Place jar contents in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 beaten egg and 1/4 cup water;
stir just until moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and quickly
knead gently for 12 to 15 strokes or until nearly smooth. Pat to 1/2-inch thickness.
Cut into desired shape and place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush
with milk. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to
a rack to cool slightly and serve warm.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.