Blueberry Scones Mix in a Jar
These are delicious warm from the oven with butter and jam; a perfect breakfast
food. A jar of homemade blueberry jam would make a wonderful accompaniment to this.
- 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla sugar*
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup dried blueberries
* To make vanilla sugar, fill a 1-quart jar with sugar. Split a vanilla
bean in half lengthwise and add both halves to the sugar. Flavor gets better
after a couple of weeks, and it will keep as long as regular sugar.
- Stir together flour, sugar, milk, baking powder, lemon peel and salt. Cut
in shortening using a pastry cutter or fork until the mixture resembles coarse
crumbs. Stir in berries.
- Layer into a 1-quart canning jar, tapping gently on the counter between
layers to settle before adding the next.
- Add additional dried blueberries to fill in small gaps if necessary.
- Store at room temperature for up to 6 weeks, or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Attach the following instructions on a gift tag.
Place jar contents in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 beaten egg and 1/4 cup water;
stir just until moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and quickly
knead gently for 12 to 15 strokes or until nearly smooth. Pat to 1/2-inch thickness.
Cut into desired shape and place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush
with milk. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to
a rack to cool slightly and serve warm.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Gifts from Your Kitchen Recipes