Texas Cornbread Mix in a Jar
- 12 wide-mouth pint (2-cup) canning jars with lids and rings
- 1/2 yard print cotton fabric
- 6 yards craft ribbon (for jars)
For 1 jar
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
For 12 jars
- 12 cups yellow cornmeal
- 12 cups sifted flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 16 tablespoons baking powder
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all dry ingredients.
- To package in jars: Wash, rinse and thoroughly dry canning jars, lids and
- Pre-mix ingredients thoroughly before filling wide-mouth pint canning jars
with 2 cups each of the finished mix. Layering ingredients for this recipe will
require larger jars.
- Place two cups Texas cornbread mix in each wide-mouth pint canning jar.
- Cut twelve 7-inch circles from cotton fabric. Top each jar with fabric circle,
and tie with ribbon.
- Attach the following instructions on a gift tag.
1 container (2 cups) Texas Cornbread Mix
1 cup milk
1/4 cup soft shortening (Crisco)
Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease one 8-inch square pan, or 8-inch cast iron
skillet, or cast iron cornbread mold.
Place cornbread mix into bowl, mix thoroughly. Add egg, milk and shortening.
Hand-beat until smooth, about one minute. DO NOT OVER-BEAT!
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes for pan or skillet, 15 to 20 minutes for cornbread mold.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.