Texas Cornbread Mix in a Jar
- 12 wide-mouth pint (2-cup) canning jars with lids and rings
- 1/2 yard print cotton fabric
- 6 yards craft ribbon (for jars)
For 1 jar
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
For 12 jars
- 12 cups yellow cornmeal
- 12 cups sifted flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 16 tablespoons baking powder
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all dry ingredients.
- To package in jars: Wash, rinse and thoroughly dry canning jars, lids and
- Pre-mix ingredients thoroughly before filling wide-mouth pint canning jars
with 2 cups each of the finished mix. Layering ingredients for this recipe will
require larger jars.
- Place two cups Texas cornbread mix in each wide-mouth pint canning jar.
- Cut twelve 7-inch circles from cotton fabric. Top each jar with fabric circle,
and tie with ribbon.
- Attach the following instructions on a gift tag.
1 container (2 cups) Texas Cornbread Mix
1 cup milk
soft shortening (Crisco)
Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease one 8-inch square pan, or 8-inch cast iron
skillet, or cast iron cornbread mold.
Place cornbread mix into bowl, mix thoroughly. Add egg, milk and shortening.
Hand-beat until smooth, about one minute. DO NOT OVER-BEAT!
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes for pan or skillet, 15 to 20 minutes for cornbread mold.
Other recipes you may like...
Blueberry Scones Mix in a Jar
California Corn Bread Mix in a Jar
Mini Pumpkin Muffin Mix