Gifts from Your Kitchen Recipes
Chocolate Anise Bark
Yield: 6 pieces
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup salted roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), finely chopped
- Line a small baking sheet with foil and chill.
- Finely grind anise in an electric coffee/spice grinder.
- Stir together cherries, apricots and cashews.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a small metal bowl set over a small saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- Stir in anise and half of fruit and spoon onto center of baking sheet. Spread with a rubber spatula into a roughly 10 x 5 inch rectangle and sprinkle with remaining fruit mixture, pressing lightly to help adhere.
- Chill until firm, about 30 minutes, then break into pieces.
Bark keeps, covered and chilled, 1 week.
Source: Gourmet magazine - November 2000