Gourmet Caramel Nut Popcorn
- 3 quarts freshly popped corn
- 1 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- 1 cup salted roasted macadamia nuts
- 1 cup whole almonds or pecan halves
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F. Butter a large roasting pan.
- Combine popped corn and nuts in the prepared pan, mixing well. Place in the oven while preparing the glaze.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, orange zest and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Boil for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the vanilla and baking soda. Gradually pour the glaze over the popped corn mixture, stirring to coat well.
- Bake until dry; stirring occasionally, approximately 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven. Using a metal spatula, free the popcorn from the bottom of the pan. Let cool completely in the pan.
- Break into clumps.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Yield: about 4 quarts