Spiced Vanilla Pecans
- 1 pound whole pecan halves
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar (not confectionery
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon light corn
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, boil the pecans in the water for 1 minute. Drain well.
While they're still hot, toss them in a large bowl with the sugar, melted
butter, corn syrup and vanilla extract. Mix well and let the nuts sit, covered,
for at least 12 hours, up to 24.
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Put the nuts on a rimmed cookie sheet. Bake them for 30 minutes, stirring
them every 5 minutes. The nuts should be well browned - though I realize they
start out brown, so what you're looking for is a darker brown - and crisp-looking.
Of course they won't really be crisp until they're cool.
- Meanwhile, combine all the spices in a large bowl. The instant the nuts
are done, add them to the spices and toss until they're well coated.
- Pat the nuts back down on the cookie sheet in a single layer, so that they
can cool without clumping. Cool them thoroughly and store airtight.
Yield: 1 pound
Source: Beat That by Ann Hodgman