Beef Barley Soup Mix in a Jar
- 1 (1 pint) jar
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley, separated
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup dried minced onions
- 1/4 cup instant beef bouillon
- 2 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- Layer soup kit ingredients in jar in order listed, using half of barley first and then remaining barley at the top.
- Close jar securely with lid.
- Attach the following recipe to the jar.
Beef Barley Soup
1 (2 pound) boneless beef chuck, cut in 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces or 2 pounds lean hamburger
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Contents of gift jar
10 cups water
Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat and brown the meat. Pour off drippings. Add the contents of soup kit jar and water to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until beef is fork tender.
Discard bay leaves.
Yields 8 servings.