Festive Granola in a Jar or Tin
- Cooking oil spray
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 6 cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats (not instant)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries or dried cherries
- Place the oven racks in the two center positions. Heat oven to 350
degrees F. Spray two 11 x 17-inch jellyroll pans with cooking oil
spray. Set aside.
- In a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl, combine the oil, maple syrup and
brown sugar. Microwave, uncovered, at high for 3 minutes, or until
the sugar starts to melt. Remove from the microwave and whisk until
any lumps disappear.
- In a 3-quart or larger bowl, combine the oats, walnuts, wheat germ
and coconut. Toss to mix well. Pour the syrup mixture over the oat
mixture and stir until well-mixed. Spread evenly onto the jellyroll
- Place a pan on each oven rack and bake for 10 minutes. Taking note
of which pan was on the top rack, remove the pans from the oven,
stir the granola, and place the pans back in the oven, rotating
to the opposite rack.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes more, taking care not to over-brown, then
remove from oven. Cool in pans for 1 hour, or until granola reaches
room temperature. Sprinkle half the raisins and half the dried cranberries
over each pan. Mix well.
- Store in airtight containers, preferably glass jars or tins, until
ready to serve, up to 2 weeks.
Yield: about 14 cups
Start to finish: 15 minutes preparation time, 20 minutes baking
time, 1 hour cooling time.
Per tablespoon: 34 calories (39 percent from fat), 2 g fat (0
g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates,
0 g dietary fiber, 2 mg sodium
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.